Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"I reverently believe that the Maker who made us all makes everything in New England but the weather. I don't know who makes that, but I think it must be raw apprentices in the weather-clerk's factory who experiment and learn how, in New England, for board and clothes, and then are promoted to make weather for countries that require a good article, and will take their custom elsewhere if they don't get it". - Mark Twain "The Weather" speech, 1876

C'est quotation has to be one of the best descriptions of NE weather I have come across.  I admit that I don't speak with the weight of years behind me compared to some, but if anyone is an expert on the weather, they reside in NE.

 If it's not hot, it's cold or wet and can change in an instant.   The forecasters are frequently suspected of using ancient prognostication methods for their daily reports.   I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the reason for the long stable prices on poultry in NH is due to the meteorology profession.

The weather has fluctuated in true NE fashion from gorgeous to the fields of hell, which this weekend was.  The unrelenting heat and humidity hit like a sledgehammer and left everyone cracked and shattered around the edges.

The oppressive humidity of the last several days finally broke me enough to actually go out and buy an air conditioner.  Since returning to NE, SSG and I have stubbornly refused to buy even a small one.  Why get an AC for at most a week of nasty weather?   We lived in both South Korea and Georgia for several years and knew what a humid summer was like.

This past weekend convinced me that summers in NE are trending warm and hot for the entire season compared to the seasons I remember from childhood.  Back than the summers were slow to warm and quick to finish.   I remember attending school in the fall in sweaters and jackets with killing frosts before October.   Now, the fall colors remain until the week of Halloween when the chill dreary weather I remember from childhood returns to NH.

 In some ways I revel in the seasons now, but not when it's so hot I'm dragging the dogs into the shower daily to cool them off so they don't suffer.



This past weekend I attended the Great Northeastern War in Hebron, ME with both my brother the Troll and Child Minion.  I also brought Lucky and Child Minion's dog Chewie in what Antika Neuva referred to as a Worthy Experiment.

I enjoy GNEW as a fun relaxing weekend that isn't too terribly far from home that the family can come with me.   I vend there since the entry fee is the same either way, so I might as well.

Sadly, this year was less relaxing that most.

 We realized too late that my tent sides had been left behind, the dogs were unceasing in their attempts to make friends with other dogs, children being overly curious with the dogs,  and oh, Lord, the unceasing heat.    Dawn hours would be comfortable and cool; however, by 9 am the humidity would attack like a spike to the lungs.

Both Antika Neuva and FairelyWell Maid were flattened by Sunday pack out.  Antika terrified everyone with coming too damn close to heat exhaustion.  If we hadn't brought two vehicles, either Troll or I would have driven her home.  Pack out was a monumental effort for everyone, but especially Troll.   As soon as I woke up I was packing up, but by 9am we were both drenched in sweat.  I took to pouring water over my head to keep cool.    

So, as far was final conclusions go- both dogs were a detriment to vending; however, Child Minion and Troll were huge helps.   Don't get my wrong, the boys are some of the best spirited friendly dogs I've met.  They're just....very territorial and extremely fearless when it comes to meeting other dogs.   Neither trait makes for successful vending.

Fortunately, the other lessons I learned over the weekend left me less chagrined.  This was my first event vending in my own space, which let me see where all the empty spaces where and whether they were needed or should be filled with stock.

Definitely have a lot of work to go to get where I'd like to be with LTGPaintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment